Natural Search Trends of Fortune 500 Q4-2008
- under Company News
Note: To download study click here.
Fortune 500™ Struggling with SEO
According to Conductor’s Latest Research Report
Study Reveals Leading Global Brand’s Natural Search Visibility Still Poor – But Indicators Improving
NEW YORK, March 11, 2009 - Conductor, a leading provider of search engine optimization technology and services, today released a study of the Q4 2008 search visibility, optimization effectiveness and trends of the corporate and consumer facing brands of the Fortune 500.
The ongoing research project from Conductor is the first to systematically track the Fortune 500 brands’ natural search effectiveness over time. The Q4 study analyzes 4.1 million paid keywords, examines the paid/natural visibility correlation and investigates the effect of more specific ‘long tail’ searches for these brands.
“SEO is still in its infancy for the Fortune 500. From quarter to quarter you can easily see when brands and sectors have become effective in managing natural search,” said Conductor CEO, Seth Besmertnik. “We’re excited to be tracking the progress of these companies as the nascent search industry evolves.”
Key Takeaways of the Study
- The Fortune 500 as a group spent approximately $51 million / day on 88,792 keywords – yet only 20.82% of these keywords rank in the top 100 natural search results.
- Large brand visibility is improving throughout natural search results, but even high performers struggle with inconsistent execution across brands.
- Only 1.41% of the domains (not companies) surveyed showed a significant number of their terms in the top results. In all cases these companies had domains with significant visibility issues that offset their overall score.
- 46.76% of Fortune 500 companies have very low or non-existent visibility for their most advertised keywords.
- Fortune 500 natural search visibility dropped 5.8% when search queries increased to 5 or more words.
The companies examined were the top 500 public companies included in Fortune magazine’s 2008 Fortune 500 annual ranking of America’s largest corporations.
For more information and a copy of the entire study, please click here:
About Conductor, Inc. Conductor is a leading provider of SEO measurement and optimization technology, empowering enterprise marketers to manage and improve their SEO efforts. Conductor's subscription-based, software as a service platform enables customers to gather competitive data, prioritize and improve their decision making, and accurately measure the ROI of their SEO efforts. Conductor also offers a range of associated professional services to its over 200 Fortune 500 and Internet Retailer 500 clients, a majority of the leading interactive agencies, and some of the world's most prestigious publications. Based in Manhattan, the company was founded in 2005, and is one of the fastest growing companies in New York.