How are real estate brands and publishers using content to rank higher? What are their real estate SEO strategies, and how can you adopt them for your own business and claim your market share in the future?
Keep reading to find out which real estate brands dominate organic share of voice and the SEO strategies they use to do so.
1. Create multiple pieces of content around the same topic with different key terms.
Step one to conquering real estate SEO? Create numerous pieces of content on the same topic. The more content you create, the more opportunities you have to target your desired keywords. For example, “Home” and “House” and “Rent” and “Rental” searches both have large search volumes with different results.
What does this look like? Let’s say you’re trying to rank for “homes for rent.” Google is not going to recognize you as an authority on the matter if you only have one post about it.
- Create a series of blog posts — long-form, in-depth content — on this “homes for rent” topic.
- One post could be about “1 bedroom homes for rent.” In our study, small brands like livelovely.com beat out big brands like Trulia and Zillow for feature-specific searches like “1 Bedroom apartment.”
- Another could be about “townhomes for rent,” another for “2-story homes for rent,” and so on.
Really, the best/only way to put your keywords to work for you is create high-quality, relevant content. As you continue to create and post your content, Google will begin to recognize you as a subject matter expert.
2. Create city-specific content.
Google operates specialized search engines that focus on local content, and there is a huge opportunity to get traffic from local searchers. According to our report, only New York City has established, competitive city-specific sites dominating market share.
This one is in line with the “big fish-small pond” way of thinking. Google and the other search engines want to provide users with the most relevant, useful information, and especially in the case of real estate SEO, that means returning local results. Be local and be useful by creating content around your city’s:
- Landmarks, attractions, points of pride
- Sports teams
- Restaurants and shopping
- Schools and neighborhoods
3. Provide online tools such as mortgage calculators.
This content is in high demand, with the highest volume of searches in the entire vertical (giving the site Dr. Calculator a #4 overall position in organic visibility). This mid-stage content gives real estate companies the opportunity to engage with consumers earlier in the customer journey.
People love such tools. Widely searched calculators include:
- Investment property calculator
- Mortgage payment calculator
- FHA mortgage calculator
- Best mortgage calculator
- Cost of buying a house calculator
- Home loan calculator
- Real estate calculator
Numerous sites enable you to install such calculators on your website; start by searching “install a free mortgage calculator” and go from there.
4. Align yourself with respected publishers.
Contribute content, retarget, or advertise on publishers that have high visibility in your categories.
Contributing content to reputable publishers within the real estate industry helps some of their brand authority rub off on you. Not only does it borrow from the, “You are the company you keep” adage, Google views the backlinks you receive as a trust signal that you’re an authority in your niche.
Similarly, site retargeting (aka remarketing, this is the practice of serving targeted display ads on other sites to users who have previously visited your site) helps you re-engage people who have already had an experience with your site. Retargeting and regular display advertising are excellent ways to get your content in front of an engaged audience.
The top-performing sites, according to our report, are:
5. Create video content.
Videos are a popular result type for “townhouses” and “mansion” searches. And if you haven’t heard, video is taking over marketing. A few stats to support this point:
- By 2020, 80 percent of all consumer internet traffic will be spent on videos (Cisco).
- The average Facebook video gets 135 percent more organic reach than the average Facebook photo (SocialBakers).
- Four out of five millennials watch video as part of the decision-making process for a purchase (Animoto).
- Brands that use videos in their marketing efforts grew revenue 49 percent faster year-over-year than those that didn’t (Aberdeen Group).
OK, you get it; you should create videos.
Which types of videos are good bets in the real estate industry? Try your hand at:
- Listing videos
- Interviews (homebuyers, home sellers, real estate agents)
- Advice videos
- Neighborhood showcase videos
- City attractions
- How-to videos
- Housing market recaps
Listing videos like this one will help you stand out in SERPs: