Principal Engineer, Data Platform
Location: New York, New York — department: Engineering
Conductor is the world’s leading SEO platform, helping businesses accelerate organic traffic and revenue growth. Conductor’s technology helps marketers create powerful marketing content to drive high-quality traffic to their site and measure their organic performance.
Conductor is a mission-driven company with a commitment to innovation, customer success, and culture. For Conductor, success is improving the lives of all the people in our orbit—our customers, our customers' customers, our employee-owners, and our communities.
Conductor is also proud to have been recognized externally: the company was named the leader in 2020 Forrester Wave: SEO Platforms Research Report and have been top rated on G2 and TrustRadius by customers.
What are we looking for?
Conductor is seeking a seasoned product-minded engineer with extensive data architecture and data platform design experience to power massive scale SaaS applications. This leader brings deep technical data and infrastructure expertise, and partners with Product Management, Engineering, and Cloud teams to drive architecture and define, design, create, manage, and deploy highly scalable and available data systems and applications.
Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer of the company, this leader -
- Designs, develops, implements, and translates business requirements and the overall organizational data strategy, including standards, principles, data sources, storage, pipelines, data flow, data processing, and data security/ governance policies
- Collaborates with data engineers, data scientists, application developers and other stakeholders to define and execute the enterprise data strategy
- Communicates and defines data architecture patterns in the organization that guide the data framework
- Provides technical leadership to data teams to implement secure, scalable, high-performance, and reliable data platform for AI/ML powered analytics applications and services
- Embraces a strong centralized data platform to unlock insights, innovation, and intelligence in the application, and to support rapid development and iteration of capabilities for our users
- Appreciates working across stacks in an organization without silos
- Is motivated to understand the challenges in the SEO space, and has a passion for solving problems and not just delivering features
- Influences strategic thinking across the team. Advocates for best practices, investigates new technologies and mentors other engineers.
The successful candidate must thrive in ambiguity with a strong decision-making capability along with a sense of accountability, leveraging a collaborative leadership style with a bias-to-action. The candidate must have a passion to solve hard problems with technical expertise and a growth-mindset, using strong engineering rigor and data-driven operational skills to drive the desired outcomes across global teams. Conductor is poised for significant growth and this leader is a very important stakeholder in the next phase of our company’s journey.
Who you are
- A hands-on software engineer with 10+ years in systems software development including 6+ years as a data engineering technical leader building scalable and secure data platforms and systems powering intelligent applications.
- An expert in concepts, principles, and implementation of data models, design, integration, transformation, and data management.
- Deep knowledge of various relational (row-oriented and columnar) and non-relational (key value, document, graph, etc.) database technologies including database and storage services in open source and those provided by public cloud vendors such as AWS (preferred) and GCP.
- Deep knowledge and experience with architectures for modern data infrastructure including data lakes, data warehouses, ETL pipelines, physical and logical data formats, data processing systems, data reliability, security, and performance.
- Understands processes, roles, policies, standards, and metrics that ensure the effective and efficient use of data/information, data privacy and confidentiality, and risks and mitigations.
- Extensive experience using cloud technologies, Snowflake/ Redshift/ Bigquery, Spark, Kafka, event queues, containers and orchestration (Docker, Kubernetes), storage, networking, and operating systems
- A thought leader with comprehensive understanding of the data sources, data formats, and data processing challenges at scale in application verticals such as (preferably) organic marketing/ SEO, retail, content, etc.
- An expert in Java and SQL programming languages
- Proficiency with solution discovery and delivery using rapid prototyping, experimentation and iterative development.
- Have a minimum of bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or a related field. Master’s or PHD preferred.
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills – can communicate clear technical solutions to complex data problems to both technical and non-technical audiences.
Why You Should Join
Conductor is a People-First and Customer-First company. We are looking for engaged and passionate technology leaders that can raise the bar. We have built a highly collaborative culture of technical excellence with tremendous opportunity to have an immediate impact in the day-to-day life of our employees and customers and drive the company's success and growth. We all share the same values, innovate, and motivate each other to attain ambitious goals, and celebrate each other’s success.
We are made up of a diverse group of people from all backgrounds. Wherever you are from, you will find a common ground here to accelerate your career and make a difference in the organic marketing industry.
Conductor, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Our Core Values
- Design for the Future, Build for Today: Don’t be limited by the present. Anticipate, architect, and design for the long-term so that we don’t have to rework our software as we grow. But build for today in terms of quality and time to delivery.
- Be Product-Minded: By knowing our customers, we can build better products that empower them and help their customers. To be a great Organic MarTech engineer one must understand the organic marketing landscape.
- Innovate: Step up the game. Find new ways to solve problems. Influence the entire product. Deliver better value for our customers. Create moats for our competition. Enhance our company’s brand, and enhance your own personal brand image.
- Optimize for Value: Great products focus on building value rather than chasing an artificial deadline. Embrace continuous planning that believes in delivering products when they are ready.
- Value Your Time: Think harder. Don’t settle. Strive for better outcomes than the last time in the same amount of time. Automate away toil and spend your energy solving newer, bigger, more interesting problems.
- Be Biased to Build Right: How you create value is very important. Prefer open source over commercial products to invent/create value and accelerate delivery. Dependency on external products for value creation increases cost and risk, impedes innovation, and discounts value.
- Seek Challenges: Good engineers just solve problems. Great engineers also seek and define new challenges. Invention and value creation happens when engineers show curiosity and initiative, and participate in defining “what’s next”.
- Embrace Change: When we maintain the status quo, we hold ourselves back. Have an open mind. Don’t cling to existing processes, technical biases, etc. Try something new. We all learn and grow together.
Conductor’s search and content intelligence platform helps marketers create and optimize content to improve visibility online.
The technology generates customer intent insights that lead to compelling content, increased traffic, and higher organic marketing ROI. Customizable dashboards and workflows guide marketers through the content creation process, empowering them to measure, refine, and demonstrate the effectiveness of their SEO and content marketing efforts.
In addition to its SaaS platform, Conductor offers a suite of services and support including site audits, site migrations, and managed services that empower in-house marketing teams and digital marketing agencies to drive results and put their customers' needs first.
Conductor's forward-thinking customers include leading global and emerging enterprise brands.
Compensation: Conductor maintains competitive, performance-based compensation programs.
The base salary for this role is currently up to $250,000. The actual base salary offered may vary within this range based on education, knowledge, skills, abilities, relevant experience, internal equity, and geographic location, among other factors. The actual compensation, if offered a position, will be based on these factors.
Variable compensation: In addition to base salary, this role is also eligible for a discretionary annual bonus based on attainment of corporate revenue performance targets.
Benefits: Conductor offers the following attractive benefits and perks including: 100% covered employee medical plan, a dental & vision plans, 401(k) with employer contribution, an unlimited vacation policy, 10 sick days, short-term disability, long-term disability, generous paid parental leave, Employee assistance program, flexible savings accounts, paid holidays, life and accidental death insurance, and a host of perks (YOLO Months, internet/cell phone allowance, fully stacked kitchens, etc.).
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Conductor LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Bringing in diverse perspectives and challenging our assumptions is the clear key to growth; it drives innovation, creativity, faster problem-solving, and stronger decision making. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, train, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs.
Conductor does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or veteran status, or other characteristics protected by state or federal law or local ordinance. In addition, it is the policy of Conductor to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified employees who have protected disabilities to the extent required by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances where a particular employee works.