Senior Legal Counsel (m/f/d)
Location: Brno, Czech Republic — department: General & Admin
Senior Legal Counsel – German Qualified Attorney (Permanent contract, full-time)]
The Senior Legal Counsel – EU Commercial/Corporate Counsel will focus primarily on providing legal advice and contract drafting/negotiation support to our sales team in our quick paced sales processes and on compliance (including relevant privacy laws/GDPR). As the sole attorney supporting our EU operations, you will also be responsible for assisting with German labor law compliance, corporate governance, managing EU legal operations and will be instrumental in the company’s success as a critical member of the Legal Department.
- Primary responsibilities:
- Serve as primary contact for internal and external legal inquiries in the EU
- Negotiate European MSAs, SOWs, order forms, NDAs, partnership agreements, vendor contracts, and other related contracts to support sales and operations on time sensitive matters; provide legal/contractual/strategic advice to the sales team; analyze and mitigate potential risks involved with specific contract terms and corporate strategies
- Provide support on GDPR and compliance inquiries.
- In collaboration with the legal department, create, maintain, and update internal templates and commercial strategies to support the business.
- Stay current on relevant laws, regulations, and developments that affect the company’s operations.
- Additional responsibilities:
- Responsible for labor law compliance and guidance to internal team, with occasional input of outside counsel.
- Manage corporate matters, with occasional input of outside counsel.
- Assist with various legal projects to support the company as it scales.
- 5+ years of experience, preferably with combined law firm and in-house legal department experience.
- Demonstrated ability to lead customer-facing negotiations of commercial contracts (e.g., NDAs, SaaS Agreements, Professional Services Agreements, Service Level Agreements and Partner Agreements), ideally on behalf of SaaS-based companies.
- Extensive experience interpreting contractual terms and conditions and guiding sales teams and business leaders regarding contractual obligations and risk assessments.
- Strong writing, drafting, editing and communication skills, including the ability to think creatively to overcome objections and identify solutions to opposing positions during contract negotiations, with an attention to detail.
- Privacy: Strong understanding of GDPR and German privacy laws
- General knowledge of German labor laws
- General knowledge of corporate matters such as resolutions, articles of association, etc.
- Experience interpreting business requirements into legal/contractual requirements and vice versa.
- Ability to work independently with excellent business judgment and the ability to assess legal risk while also thinking strategically and providing sound, practical advice under tight deadlines.
- Fully qualified German Lawyer (Second State Exam)
- Must be based in either the UK or Germany with periodic required travel into Berlin, Germany.
- Native German speaker; Fluent in English
- Positive, collaborative approach to problem solving.
- Ability to work cross-functionally with different departments to reach consensus.
- Flexibility to work internationally with the US parent company, and to adapt and grow with the company