We wanted to see which companies dominated organic share of voice and pulled in the most cash during 2016’s peak online shopping season. So, we analyzed hundreds of thousands of searches for five verticals:
- Real estate
- Travel and hospitality
Curious if you grabbed your Google market share during the holiday season? Read the report to find out which brands and publishers were the top performers (and get recommended strategies for each vertical):
Insurance: Top 10 Companies Don’t Always Dominate
The most notable finding in the insurance industry? Some of the top 10 insurance companies in the U.S. are not top organic market share performers.
Noticeably missing from our list, for example, are Farmers and AIG, both of which are ranked a top 10 U.S. insurance company by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
Also of note: smaller and regional brands can hit #1. The Zebra, Nolo, and the Rocky Mountain Insurance Information Association all ranked #1 for a number of high-value content searches.
Download the report for strategies on how to use content to rank higher.
Finance: Publishers, Not Financial Institutions, Dominate This Industry
The most interesting finding in this vertical: content creators and publishers like NerdWallet and Wikipedia outperform industry giants like American Express and Visa.
You’ll see that Bankrate, a publisher, is the top performer in the finance category. NerdWallet, another publisher, takes position 3 overall and is number 1 in the credit card subcategory. Investopedia, another publisher, dominates the mutual funds category.
Who’s missing? All the major credit card companies. Visa, MasterCard and American Express did not make it into the top 10 market share.
Real Estate: Publishers have a commanding presence
Once again, publishers nabbed a significant portion of the top real estate market share. Bankrate, Money CNN and Wikipedia dominated this vertical, as did aggregators like Zillow and Trulia and sites with interactive mortgage calculators.
You can see that such major real estate firms as Century 21, RE/MAX, Coldwell Banker, Sotheby’s and The Corcoran Group didn’t rank in the top 10.
Travel: Travel Aggregators are the Top Performers in this Category
With the exception of Marriott, the aggregator sites have this vertical sewn up.
You’ll see, however, that the “Others” category is still sizable, meaning there’s plenty of opportunity for major travel companies to become more visible. Hotel chains such as Hilton, Wyndham and Holiday Inn, airlines such as Delta, American Airlines and JetBlue and car rental companies such as Avis, Budget and Hertz all have ample opportunity to claim organic market share.
Retail: Wide Variety of Brands Rank
A major finding in the retail industry: a wide variety of brands share top market share for modifying search terms around material, target audience and style.
- “Baby” searches: Carters, Target, Children’s Place, Gap, and Burlington Coat Factory
- “Business” searches – Pinterest, Refinery29, Forbes, Wikipedia, GQ, Business Insider
- “Trendy” searches: Lulus, Go Jane, Charlotte Russe, Necessary Clothing, Zaful, Maurices
Takeaway: The Quality of the Content is More Important Than Company or Budget Size
There were some compelling industry-specific findings, highlights of which are included in this blog post. Across the board, however, two important findings stood out:
- Budget isn’t everything. As expected, many of the top organic performers are large, established companies — but many smaller brands and publishers performed well, too. This indicates that the quality of the content is more important in determining organic share of voice performance than the size of the company or budget.
- There’s plenty of opportunity. There’s a sizable portion of market share labeled “other” in each vertical, meaning that market share is not consistently held by one brand. This is good news — it means there is ample opportunity to claim organic market share.
You know which companies take market share in your vertical. So what do you do about it?
Download our full organic market share report to get the best strategies to take back your share.